Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 Schematic Design
 Signal References that expand to length of text?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trayres Posted - 10 Nov 2015 : 07:58:21
Is there a way to place a symbol reference that automatically expanded to include the size of the text?

I have input/output signal references, but the names can extend out of the symbol.

Could I suggest that for some future 'nice to have'?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tystephens Posted - 24 Nov 2015 : 10:20:46
Hi Travis,

You could also try the Signal Reference Pointers that were added in 8.5

Insert Menu / Signal Reference / 'Pointer Both', 'Pointer Left' or 'Pointer Right'

These three pointers automatically resize to the size of the Net Name (see image).

Cheers,

Ty

Image Insert:

12.24 KB

Intelligence is a gift...I am still awaiting mine
trayres Posted - 12 Nov 2015 : 06:12:42
quote:
Originally posted by steve

For this display a net name on an item and attach a text callout to it and set the callout text to have the net name attribute substituted into it. You can then hide the callout pointer symbol and line to the item the callout is attached to. This will result in a net name surrounded by a box.

Pulsonix Assistance

This is a great way to go about it, thanks for the tip!
steve Posted - 11 Nov 2015 : 17:41:52
For this display a net name on an item and attach a text callout to it and set the callout text to have the net name attribute substituted into it. You can then hide the callout pointer symbol and line to the item the callout is attached to. This will result in a net name surrounded by a box.

Pulsonix Assistance
trayres Posted - 11 Nov 2015 : 17:04:55
quote:

The way to deal with this is to use a symbol of a suitable width as the gate(s) on the part representing the purchased component, so always ensuring the logic text stays within the symbol box. This that you describe would happen if you are using a symbol on a generic part where you may amend the logic text to reflect a different device. In this case you could add a second or third etc symbol to the generic part definition and then select the one that allows the amended text to fit.

Pulsonix Assistance

I'm thinking of signal references in particular.

Here is a long reference name in Kicad: Note the signal reference expands to include the entire net name.
Image Insert:

72.79 KB

Here's the same net in Pulsonix:
Image Insert:

116.51 KB

I think in this case the symbol should expand to fit the net name. I'm not sure what Altium or Orcad do in this case, but I like the way the symbol resizes to fit the net name.

I could go make several Signal Reference symbols of different lengths, but that's clunky.
steve Posted - 11 Nov 2015 : 08:44:48
The way to deal with this is to use a symbol of a suitable width as the gate(s) on the part representing the purchased component, so always ensuring the logic text stays within the symbol box. This that you describe would happen if you are using a symbol on a generic part where you may amend the logic text to reflect a different device. In this case you could add a second or third etc symbol to the generic part definition and then select the one that allows the amended text to fit.

Pulsonix Assistance
trayres Posted - 10 Nov 2015 : 21:20:07
quote:

Can you confirm that you are suggesting a symbol with logic names could expand to ensure the value of logic names remain within the symbol box or something else?

Pulsonix Assistance

Yup! Exactly that
steve Posted - 10 Nov 2015 : 09:01:29
Can you confirm that you are suggesting a symbol with logic names could expand to ensure the value of logic names remain within the symbol box or something else?

Pulsonix Assistance