Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 How to use PCB DOc Symbol attributes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poorchava Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 07:42:48
I want to add some stuff like dotmatrix codes, country of origin etc using Doc Symbols, but I can;t figure out how to do it.

For example when I insert 'Country of origin' symbol, it says "MADE IN <country>". I assumed, that I need to add a "country" attribute in Design Properties, but that doesn't seem to work. <country> also doesn't work.

I assume all barcode symbols also work in that way, but I can't seem to figure out how to use them, or even what the parameter name should be. I didn't find anything on the issue in Help.

Can you please clarify on how to use those?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jameshead Posted - 30 Mar 2020 : 15:22:10
I've not experienced any problems using attributes with PCB Doc Symbols.
Here's an example PCB file showing some uses.
The drawing border including its title block is a PCB DocSym, where if you were to add it to your library and edit it would notice attribute positions for some user defined attributes, set up in your default technology file as Type Design. This include drawing numbers, company name/address etc.
Also included is a feature control frame PCB Doc Symbol that has two attributes associated with each instance. These attributes are: "Datum Positional Tolerance" and "Datum" that are set to "Any Instance". The Datum attribute has the value -A- for one of the inserted PCB Doc Symbols and -B- for the other.
The Text lead out has the value "3.50 mm (%%<Drill Id>%%)" where the Drill ID is automatically inserted into text.

Download Attachment: Example-DocSymb-Attributes.pcb
114.18 KB
poorchava Posted - 30 Mar 2020 : 08:41:20
Thanks,

that does what I've been looking for. Attribute evaluation without creating new attributes.

Which does not change the fact, that the built-in PCB Doc Symbols don't work :)
feynman Posted - 28 Mar 2020 : 10:34:19
Since attributes don't evaluate in a regular text object, you could use a "Text callout" instead. Callouts allow attribute substitution and basically look like a regular text object, if you deactivate the pointer and text box in the callout's properties.
poorchava Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 12:55:52
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf

You can place an attribute in your doc symbol instead of the text. This attribute should contain "MADE IN %%country%%". This is the way how attributes can be substituted.

I figured that out and yes - it works.

I tried to embed an Attribute in a Text object in order to not create additional Attributes, and apparently this is what I can't get working (if it's even supposed to work that way)
Olaf Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 11:02:37
You can place an attribute in your doc symbol instead of the text. This attribute should contain "MADE IN %%country%%". This is the way how attributes can be substituted.
jameshead Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 10:02:30
Yes, attributes can be used to show specific values for designs or a specific doc symbol in a design. The method I described will work and what I do for drawing borders.

I use my own library exclusively and don't really use the supplied libraries much, having them turned off most of the time, unless I want to browse for something to save time on creating a new part or footprint.

I can upload an example later.

poorchava Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 08:51:57
When I modified the ready-made 'Country of origin' symbol and added an attribute 'country' somewhere - it worked.

The default DocSymbol is just a Text field, that says "MADE IN <country>". Is there a way to somehow make Pulsonix substitite "tags" with attribute values?

What about dot matrix codes? How to use those? Or are they meant only as a placeholder for sticker/laser engraving surign manufacture?
jameshead Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 08:00:16
By the sounds of it you are doing it right. It's how I do my drawing borders in both schematic and PCB.

Create an attribute in Edit Technology such as country_name but make sure that the "Usage" is "Design" and I set "Context" to "All Designs" as I drive everything from the schematic diagram.

Use "Edit" and "Design Properties" to set the value of the attribute in your design.

In your Doc Symbol use "Insert Attribute" to put a place holder down for it.

In the PCB Design or Schematic the placeholder will be replaced with value of the attribute.

If this isn't working as it should I suspect you may have the Usage set to something other than Design.