Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 How to avoid 3D body placeholders in STEP Export

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poorchava Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 10:55:15
I have a design, which has some pads for soldering wires in production, and also some components that don't have STEP models yet.

During STEP export this results in bodies generating black solids (A) with height taken either from Body areas in footprint or some default value (I think). Setting a Body area with height of 0 doesn't seem to work (it gets ignored) Also, the THT pads develop some kind of gray, spherical shape (B).

How to make just nothing to appear if STEP model is not assigned?

Image Insert:

109.07 KB

EDIT: what does work is following: choose any random step file for the component. The go into Edit -> Design Properties and manually edit the <STEP Filename> and delete the value. This way I end up with an empty <STEP Filename> parameter and this prevents STEP exporter from inserting the placeholder. There doesn't seem to be a way to insert an empty <STEP Filename> parameter or any checkbox that would say "no 3D body" or "PCB feature". I think the same situation will occur when creating eny PCB feature that is a component rather than geometric primitive such as PCB antennas, inductors, fuse links, solder pads etc

The method above seems to me a really nasty procedure that is essentially workaround for an option I failed to find or one that is just missing.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
poorchava Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 14:20:13
I have found them. I just found it kind of hard to believe that this feature requires manual fiddling with system parameters of the footprint.

I expected some kind of checkbox / option etc to achieve this.
lewism@pulsonix.com Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 11:50:53
Hi Poorchava,

If you find the attribute <STEP Filename> and/or <3D Package> on the part, and leave the values empty they should be suppressed in the data after saving the changes and reloading the part into the design.

If you are still having trouble please contact support@pulsonix.com and I can advise further through there.

Many thanks

Lewis - Pulsonix support