Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 'Split net' on PCB / change track net

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poorchava Posted - 03 Apr 2021 : 04:49:36
Is it possible to change the net of a trace on the PCB without net joining?

Let's say I have a heavily fanned out net 'A' and need to change one branch of that signal to another net, let's say 'B', because for whatever reason this branch now needs to be connected to a separate cpu pin.

If I do that change on the schematic it will unroute the entire branch - this is counter productive since I do not want to change the majority of the route of that branch.

If I delete the segment connecting the branch to the rest of the net 'A', select that branch and try to change the net to 'B', it wants to change the name of entire 'A' to 'B'. I need to move only the selected segments to another net.

Selecting the segments of interest and using 'remove from net' unroutes the segments.

How do I go about it.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
poorchava Posted - 03 Apr 2021 : 14:09:23
I've found it.

Turns out that there is a split net command for PCB, but I need to have a connection selected rather than a trace, then it appears in context menu in the 'change net' submenu.

The goal is to disconnect both ends of the track and then say 'now you are in net 'B', not the net 'A'. Problem was, that selecting the fragment of trace of interest would only try to join 'A' and 'B' and rename it to either 'A' or 'B'
jameshead Posted - 03 Apr 2021 : 10:04:01
I would delete segments within the PCB first to avoid items being ripped up, the use the built-in Pin Order or Branch Points feature within the schematic, then re-sync.
bkamen Posted - 03 Apr 2021 : 05:34:23
You should always change the net in the SCH and not on the PCB.

The way I would do it (just to be safe) is to make sure the pin/net I want to change is isolated on the PCB already by unrouting segments that might connect to the other net.

Then go into the schematic and disconnect the same.

You should be able to rename/assign the net and then click on the checkbox that limits the change to just that segment.

I think that's what you want -- but not seeing the design and exactly what you want to do - it's hard to say for sure.

-Ben
-------------------------------------------
ben@benkamen.net
http://www.benjammin.net