Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 Schematic Design
 variants on block level

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hippenstiel Posted - 12 Oct 2015 : 15:29:14
I have a design, where I defined a hierarchical block for a part of the circuit that is used multiple times.
Since the schematic (and also the pcb layout) of the block is exactly the same for every instance, I use mulitply instanced blocks. Thus only having to maintain the circuit once.

I would like to define variants for the design, where I fit only one instance of this block for variant A, 5 instances of this block for variant B and all 10 instances of this block for variant B.

Defining variants for the components inside the block schematic is not an option, since I could only fit all components or none this way.
Unlocking the block instances is not an option as well. I think I could only unlock one of the instances at a time. Also any changes inside the block would be overwritten by a "reload block".
So right now, I'm setting the "fitted" option inside the pcb layout for every single component. But every "synchronise designs" will overwrite these settings.

What I'm looking for is a "fitted" property of the block.
Is there any way to do this?
Or is there maybe any trick which saves me from clicking every single component after synchronisation?

Thanks!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
steve Posted - 13 Oct 2015 : 12:29:08
Having the ability to change states of multiple components in one go within the Variant Spreadsheet is also logged as 35476, I have added this to it.

Pulsonix Assistance
hippenstiel Posted - 13 Oct 2015 : 09:05:58
Thanks for your replies!

James, your solution is better than what I did. This way I can generate the part list from the schematic, which I prefer. And also I could print valid schematics for every variant.

The most elegant solution would be, if the block instance had a fitted state, which passes this property on to its components.
But it could also be of great help, if it was possible to select multiple components and set the fitted state collectively. Either in the variants spreadsheet or in the properties dialog.
steve Posted - 12 Oct 2015 : 16:43:48
I have added the post contents to open suggestion log 24963

Pulsonix Assistance
jameshead Posted - 12 Oct 2015 : 15:51:49
I've had to do this a couple of years ago as well, and like you, found a similar problem.

The only way I found around it back then was to use SAVE AS to save an extra copy of the schematic diagram with "with variants for parts lists" appended on the name, then disable the "Can be Multiply Instanced" selection box for the relevant blocks then select the components and setup variants as per normal. The intent was then to use this copy to output parts lists whilst keeping the main copy for updating the PCB. If the original schematic and PCB were to be updated in the future then I'd either update both schematics independently, or update the original schematic and save a new copy and re-do the variants copy, depending up to the complexity of the change required and amount of work to do.

Not elegant I know.