Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 Libraries
 Symbol pin logic name import

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cioma Posted - 24 Jun 2016 : 14:23:16
As I understand in Pulsonix symbols are supposed to contain only placeholders for visible attributes. But when creating a complex symbol (e.g. for a processor) it would be very convenient to have actual symbol pin logic names in symbol. Is these a way to somehow import pin logic names into a symbol (e.g. from a CSV file)?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jameshead Posted - 19 Dec 2016 : 10:00:11
quote:
When I finished this and save it and start creating the part using this symbol, all the entered logic names are not availiable and the default {<Logic Name>} is shown in the preview, and of course there are no entries in the Gates tab for any Logic Name.

The dilemma is, that now I have to reenter all the info's I already entered in the symbol again in the Gates tab.

In the Gates tab, right click in the Logic Name column and from the menu that appears select "Apply Symbol Logic Names". The logic names from the symbol will be automatically populated into the part.
steve Posted - 19 Dec 2016 : 09:46:13
You can add a value into the <Logic Name> attribute which is in the schematic symbol, but this is to provide a default, if wanted, for when creating a new part (see Help - Properties Pin). If you want to just state a logic name which will be seen every time a symbol is used, then add free text representing logic names instead of the attribute place holder, as free text would be permanent within that symbol.

The purpose of adding the attribute place holder is that the symbol may be used on more than one Part, for which each pin on the Gates tab of each part could be a different logic name. When a pin on a part is provided a logic name in Gates, then the <Logic Name> place holder adopts that logic name (Help - Parts Editor - Gates).

Pulsonix Assistance
StefanThiel Posted - 18 Dec 2016 : 20:13:11
I think the question is the same that I have. When I enter a value in the Logic Name field of the schematic symbol, it is showing up ( instead of the default {Logic Name}. This is usefull if I create the schematic symbol for a micro, because I want to arrange the pins related to their function.
When I finished this and save it and start creating the part using this symbol, all the entered logic names are not availiable and the default {<Logic Name>} is shown in the preview, and of course there are no entries in the Gates tab for any Logic Name.

The dilemma is, that now I have to reenter all the info's I already entered in the symbol again in the Gates tab.
A solution could be to use the Logic Name from the symbol when there is something entered and show it up in the Gates tab. There it could be overwritten. The entries from the Part have priortiy to the entries in the symbol.

THIEL
steve Posted - 27 Jun 2016 : 09:11:04
The idea is the way the libraries work, the mapping of symbol to footprint and assigning of logic names is the library process.

Pulsonix Assistance
cioma Posted - 24 Jun 2016 : 17:29:41
Yes, I understand that and that's a very good idea for reusable symbols. But complex symbols (e.g. processor, microcontroller etc) are unlikely to be reusable.

If I'm not mistaken I can put an actual value into the <Logic Name> pin attribute in symbol editor. Therefore creating a complex symbol (that will only be used in one part) would be easier as I could manually arrange symbol pins based on their logic names. But it seems at the moment one would need to copy-paste logic name value for every single pin which is not feasible. Thus my question about bulk symbol pin import in symbol editor. Perhaps in future releases Pulsonix could implement an editable table view of a symbol with all pins, their logic names, coordinates etc.
steve Posted - 24 Jun 2016 : 16:58:56
Schematic Symbols only have Pins and you can attach the <Logic Name> attribute placeholder to each one. Symbols are then used in a Part or many Parts, where the logic for the particular pin, representing a pad of the footprint, is defined on the Parts gates dialog for that particular part. So each part has its own related logic name for the same pin.

Pulsonix Assistance
cioma Posted - 24 Jun 2016 : 14:38:00
Well, if I understand correctly, the "FPGA" checkbox is present only in Part Editor and applicable to parts only. But I'd like to import pin logic names into a symbol itself to make pin rearranging easier. I see that a symbol can be defined in a PLX format and then imported. If Pulsonix developers would provide PLX format documentation that would allow users to automate symbol creation.
bkamen Posted - 24 Jun 2016 : 14:28:08
Possibly!

Look at the "FPGA" features as they allow importing a file to assign all the names of the pins. (because we know how FPGAs can be so unwieldy -- but really, big CPUs aren't much better)

I haven't used the FPGA signal feature outside an FPGA -- but start there and if you need help I can go look too.

-Ben

-Ben
-------------------------------------------
ben@benkamen.net
http://www.benjammin.net