Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 Libraries
 Library Parts with different Footprints/Attributes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HarryHirn Posted - 22 Aug 2018 : 09:30:34
Hi,

i was playing around with the Pulsonix Library and i think there is a big issue with the library or i didnt figure out how to use it right.

What i want to do is reduce the amount of single parts in the library and combine parts.
For example i have a 1k Resistor which i use in different cases 0805, 0603, 0402.
Or i use some IC, transistors, diodes, whatever in different cases like sot, tssop, bga...

I can now make a library part, say the 1k resistor, and assign different footprints like 1206, 0805, 0603 and 0402 in the details section.
Then i can make several columns of attributes and here comes the problem.

Image Insert:

9.94 KB

Usually you have to vary your attributes with every footprint, most likely the order code.
Its not only the order code that varies with every package, sometimes its the temperatures etc that are different for other packages.

So the way i tried to group the parts i can assign different attributes and different footprints, but it doesnt work out.
now i can place a 1K 0805 part with a 0402 footprint, if i want to.

So this way with assigning different attributes will only work for parts of the same footprint.
But assigning more than one footprint will never work, because the attributes are not assigned to footprints.

In other words i have to make a lot of single parts for every footprint attribute pair and because the order codes always contain the footprint information i can never group them.

So i end up making parts like "1k 0805", "1k 0603", "BC847 SOT23", "BC847 SOT323", "BC847 SOT883" and so on...

Maybe this really doesnt work or i dont know how to use it right.

What i want to do is select a BC847 from the library and then select the footprint and the attributes are then according to the selected footprint.

I believe im not the only one wanting to use it like this and maybe it can be a feature request for the next version ;)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cioma Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 14:27:54
The best way to deal with all that is to use Database Connection (PDC) in Pulsonix but it's an additional licensing option that costs some money.